Employment Support worker
Are you the right person to help others experience the life changing effects of getting into employment for the first time? One of the aims of Merton 2030 is to increase the life chances of people who for various reasons require extra support to become economically active.
We know all about the huge benefits which having a job brings to everyone, and particularly to those who have traditionally been excluded from paid work. The Merton Employment Team supports people with a learning disability who are seeking to access employment. We are currently looking to expand the team as part of a pilot programme to work intensively with a group of young people in order to maximise their chances of achieving a positive outcome in this area.
You will be part of an Employment Team which identifies suitable referrals, carries out an assessment of their work skills, creates an action plan and identifies what help and support is required to support each job seeker into employment opportunities.
The role will include:
- Getting to know our job seekers, their interests, skills, ambitions and plans for paid work
- Finding work placements to gain skills for employment
- Providing one to one job search support
- Creating CVs and assisting with application forms and covering letters
- Providing interview skills training
- Identifying further training and/or Adult Learning where required
- Accompanying job seekers to interviews
- Assisting with learning travel routes to work
- Arranging monitoring and support visits to work placements
The role requires you to be confident in working on your own at times, meeting potential job seekers at various community venues, as well as at work placements. Part of your time will be identifying placements with local employers, and working with your colleagues to match the job seeker to a suitable role. Good communication with colleagues, job seekers and their circle of support and with employers is essential for this role. Although based at Merton’s Civic Centre, the team currently works at number of sites across the borough in order to be accessible to the job seekers it supports.
Initially these roles will be for eighteen months, with the pilot reviewed in 2023.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.merton.gov.uk.